If you liked the My Weird Read-A-Loud sessions I did on Facebook Live during the pandemic, you’re going to LOVE my virtual author visit to your school.
I think I should start with the money stuff, because you might take one look at how much I charge and say, “WHAT?! Is he out of his mind?” I will do a minimum of one and a maximum of four 30-minute online sessions with a school, all in one day. The cost: 1 session=$500. 2 sessions=$900. 3 sessions=$1,300. 4 sessions=$1,600
If you’re still with me, let’s talk about the content of those sessions. My virtual author visits are fun, like my Facebook Live Read-A-Louds, but also educational. Every school is different, of course, and I realize I need to be flexible. Depending on the grade level and the school’s preference, each session could consist of…
- A brief introduction about how I was a reluctant reader as a child.
- For younger grades, I’ll read one of my “Rappy the Raptor” picture books.
- For younger grades, I’ll explain how I got the idea for My Weird School and read a chapter or two of a book that hasn’t been published yet.
- For older grades, I’ll tell the story of how my baseball card adventure series was rejected by multiple publishers, but I NEVER GIVE UP.
- For older grades, I can do an interactive small group writing workshop in which the students and I construct the framework for a story together.
- For everybody, I’ll finish up with Q and A.
My preference is for small groups (one class or one grade at a time), but I’ll speak with larger groups if necessary. Obviously, with larger groups there’s less opportunity for interaction with individual students.
My ideal grade levels are 2-5. I don’t feel that grades K or 1 would get much out of my virtual author visit.
I request that you prepare the students for my visit in advance by sharing a book or two with them and/or researching my books online.
My preference is to use Zoom, but I’m open to other platforms if your school can help me through any technical issues. I’m not very tech savvy.
If you’d be interested in purchasing books in conjunction with my visit, I recommend contacting Allyson Hickey of booked @email@example.com or call 914-351-3401. She makes the whole process easy.
–If you like what you’ve seen here and want to book a date, we can save some back and forth if you include this in your email to me: the name of your school, the address, your position, a phone number where I can reach you in case of emergency, and a few months that would be best for a virtual author visit to your school.
–At some point, when it feels safe, I hope to resume doing in-person school visits (NYC area only). My flat fee for a full day is still $2,250, with no expenses.
That’s about it. Questions? Give me a holler: firstname.lastname@example.org.